Thursday, May 7, 2015

May 7th, 2015- MTC

May 7, 2015
Kazoku to Tomodachii!!  (Family and Friends)

I think in this letter I will start off with a funny story!  So Aunt Judene sent me a package of Hersheys hugs with a very nice note to go along with it. I was eating these after devotional on Tuesday night when Larson Choro made a reference to Dumb and Dumber, one of my all time favorite movies.  I immediately laughed so hard that I swallowed the hug I had in my mouth whole!  Hahaha. So on the way down my esophagus, NOT my trachea, it got stuck!  So I could still breathe and stuff but I was laughing so hard at the fact that I swallowed a chocolate kiss whole.  Since I was silently laughing and turning red my doryos (companions) and our solo Sargent Shimai thought that I was choking!  After about ten seconds my stomach decided to take things into its own hands. It started heaving in order to clear the blocked passage hahaha. So here I was laughing, crying, and dry-heaving in the hallway next to our classroom.  Anyway, I ran to the bathroom where my stomach won a hard fought battle of will, and cleared the passageway of the obstruction hahaha.  I am sure some of you may be a little worried over this or grossed out, but I assure you  I am in very good health and thought the whole thing was ridiculously funny hahaha. 

Okay so this week has been kind of crazy.  My doryos (companions) and I decided to try and challenge ourselves by moving away from the script in our lessons. We write out what we want to say and ideas for teaching in English, and on the side of the paper we write down bunpo (grammar principles) and tango (vocab) we might need to reference during the lesson.  We also committed to teaching all of the material in tandem, rather than take turns teaching individual things.  It has been hard, and there have been many failures to communicate, but I am learning a lot and the spirit is now allowing us to teach from our hearts. Very simply and fundamentally, but kokoro kara (from the heart ) all the same.  We have kind of jumped to a higher level which is cool to see.  I know that the Lord liked that we were willing to do this and has helped us every step of the way. It is especially cool that we made these steps considering all the crazy changes we have had to deal with.  This Monday during our study time, which was cut down due to our teacher’s need to work with their school schedules at BYU, the directors of the pilot programs did a study group with us.  Sparing details it was an utter waste of time hahaha, but oh well.  We had to work through it some way.  We managed to teach our 2 lessons that day along with 2 more that evening at the Teaching Resource Center (TRC) to the native speaking members successfully.  On Tuesday we had to ditch some study time for Choir practice and the devotional and devotional review, yet somehow managed to teach two lessons that day as well as Wednesday without much of a script.  Wednesday we had to ditch our study time AGAIN so we could host a new round of missionaries (i.e. tear them from the clutches of their mothers off of the curb) and still managed to teach a lesson that day as well. I have no explanation as to how we were able to do this except through the grace and mercy of the Lord.  That guy seriously knows whats up.  So we have been bumped up from five lessons a week to twelve, we have reduced study times every day, we have to host next week, and we have to fulfill the needs of the pilot program directors. Overwhelmed?  Yes. Tired?  Always.  Failing?  At times.  BUT I..am..no..failure.  That is something I have had the privilege of learning from the examples of two sisters here.  First is Parker Shimai. She came in to the MTC with ADHD, a learning disability, and a speech impediment.  She is now in Tokyo contacting and teaching DAILY.  And boy did she fail.  Often and sometimes disastrously.  But she was sure to let you know she is no failure.  Second is poor Sargent Shimai.  She is strong as an ox and could pick me up and tear me in two if she needed to.  Anyway, her companion, Bower Shimai, went home last week due to complications from a previous injury.  She has now had to teach ALL lessons on her own.  Talk about intimidating. Talk about an immense work load.  But her faith and her persistence has not lacked one bit in the process.  And she is doing so well.  So, I often remember these two Shimais when I am discouraged.  There are daily miracles here on the mission.  I wish that all could experience them.

Shannon,  I meet friends of yours daily here haha. You are clearly very loved at BYU.  AND very much missed, by the elders more than the sisters it seems for some odd reason.  I really almost wish I could be delayed a week so I could welcome you to the MTC.  Demo (but), its all good.  You need your OWN experience here.  Dad said you went shopping the other day, and I’m sure it was a blast.  Keep studying preach my gospel.  EVERY DAY.  MAI NICHI.  YOU are what we call a twelve day miracle here.  You dont need nine weeks to get your act together like me.  The Lord sees a need you can fill RIGHT NOW. Especially with the opportunity to teach in English, make preach my gospel a priority in your study.  Did you know that EVERY WORD of preach my gospel was prayed over by the first presidency and prophet?  Every word.  They finished writing it and the editor decided to make a few changes.  When the Apostles and Prophet got the final copy they asked the editor why he had changed things and then proceeded to tell him that the words they used were pure revelation. You have modern scripture inspired to guide you in your mission as a representative of Jesus Christ.  His purpose (Christ’s) becomes yours in your mission, literally, and you basically have a step by step how to guidebook on teaching the way the Jesus Christ did. Don’t mean to lecture, just want you to do better than me!

Macsen I met someone from the Miami singles branch!  Her name is sister Nathaly Calevoso?  She said she recognized me from photos as well as my name.  She wanted to tell you how great she thought you were, and that she wishes you all the best in your studies!

Aunt Judene I really hope my story didn’t make you feel bad haha. The bag is already halfway gone so those treats are very much appreciated.

Kristin! Write me more funny stories. Nice work on the tennis tourny by the way.  I would expect nothing less from you two hahaha.

Something really sweet happened in a lesson with our investigator Tsuboyama San the other day.  We were giving her the lesson on the plan of salvation, and we got to the point in the lesson where we needed to talk about eternal families. Shannon how we teach these days is nothing like how it used to be.  There is no rote memorization. EVERYTHING is by the spirit.  That being said I knew that Tsuboyama needed to have this lesson tied to her life for it to have any meaning, and I also know that her mother had passed away.  So I asked her if she knew that families were eternal?  She said she did not.  I then told her that her mother would ALWAYS be her mother, and that she would see her again.  She looked right in my eyes and said, "hontoni?" that means “really?” but the way she said it I could tell that she truly Kokoro kara (from the heart) wanted to know if it was true. I told her that it was true, it was true because my own mother had passed, and that I knew that through the Plan of Salvation, I could see her again. Not just as a resurrected sprit, but as MY mom.  My eyes leaked a little and the spirit was so strong.  These investigators are semi staged, but the holy ghost is the same here as it is with true investigators.  It really gave me hope that I was doing at least something right.  And that has been a little bit of a struggle for me. Knowing whether or not I am doing the right things.  Everyday you are asked to do so much by everyone, and sometimes you simply don’t get around to doing it all. This experience let me know that I could at least kokoro kara ni yotte akashi suru. Testify through and from the heart. 

I watched a mormon message today about the refiner's fire. It is absolutely heartbreaking, however if all who read this letter could find time to watch it, I think you all would appreciate what I did today.  The fires I have been put through, combined with the hammering and shaping I have experienced, allow me to better serve those who may be in similar situations or circumstances.  It is so difficult (hontoni muzukashi desu), but So much more worth it when you come through that fire and shaping process, as an instrument with a particular use and strength.  I do not regret what has happened and the experiences I have had.  I now cherish them, and marvel at how the Lord has made my difficulties and weaknesses become strong. I have SUCH a long way to go before I feel I can be an effective missionary of the Lord.  I have SO MUCH WORK TO DO, but I am more than willing to do it.  To wake up every morning and drop to my knees and pray to God that he can help me carry out his will. My mission already means so much to me, and it has only been a month. Crazy desho? (right?)

You all are in my prayers and I miss you all terribly.  Natalie, your incredibly random letters are great haha. Dallin I miss you buddy and hope all is well.  Go play games with my family some time, and train hard if you’re still into that.

Thank you everyone for the prayers and support.  Ai shitemasu.

Viehweg CHoro

District Prayer


No comments:

Post a Comment