Monday, January 11, 2016

January 4th, 2015

Hey family,

Sorry I sent a pretty lame email last week. We were super busy and had
all kinds of appointments and things we needed to get done over here
in the promised land of Koshigaya.

I thank you dearly for all of the presents, letters, and love you
sent to me this Christmas. I felt the support and love from all of you
and want you to know how grateful I am to know and come from such
great people. All the gifts fit wonderfully and keep me very warm.
Sisters, those ridiculously big poofy socks you sent are the best
things ever. There is no carpet in Tokyo so the floor gets very cold
sometimes.

I have so much that happened over the last two weeks, but I'm just
going to highlight a few of the good ones in no particular order soooo
sorry, but not sorry.

I think the first thing want to talk about is my Christmas experience.
First off it was great to talk to all of you that were there via
Skype. I'm sorry it was a pain to get ahold of you. To be honest, I
was extremely nervous about it. Almost to the point of getting sick
right before hand hahaha I really didn't want to call, but I knew I
needed to. I'm sorry if I was awkward or quiet—I simply had no idea
what to say. Dad said I seemed happy and I suppose that is what I want
you all to know. I have never been this consistently happy in all my
life. There are difficult times but the pure joy that accompanies the
work of salvation is without compare in this life. So please rest easy
even if I seem weird and do not want to talk hahaha.

Firstly, I want to talk about our experience Christmas Eve. We finished
all of our calls and reports early to set aside a good half hour to
devote solely to the birth of the Savior. We started off by singing
Silent Night and as soon as the words left our lips the most pure
tender presence of the spirit settled over our apartment. We had
received a tree from Burch Choro’s mom and lit it up with our space
heater that gave the room a very quiet, reverent feeling. From there we
opened the scriptures and read from Luke. As we sat there reading
about the one reason we all chose to come to Japan the spirit touched
each and every one of our hearts together. The best way I can describe
is is by quoting the scripture from the Book of Mormon about having
“one faith and one baptism…with hearts knit together in unity and
love one towards another.”  It truly was as if the spirit of God was
uniting our hearts and speaking and moving through each of us together
in that dimly lit apartment. After reading the story of Christ’s birth
we each bore our own personal testimony of the Savior to each other. I
don't want to describe what happened next because I believe it was
beyond sacred, but I felt something I don't think I could describe
even if I tried. Suffice it to say that I know perfectly why I am
here, and I know the love that God the Father and the Savior have for the
Japanese people. Everyone said that you find out the true sanctity
behind Christmas as a missionary. That proved to be more than true for me.

Christmas missionary work was an absolute blast and we were able to
have some wonderful contacts with people. Unfortunately no one became
new investigators, but what happened the day after Christmas made up
for all of that.

Before I came to this area, the ward made a goal to have a baptism the day after
Christmas. One day Hughes and Burch Choro prayed that someone would
come to the church who desired to be baptized, and the next day a part
member family’s husband came walking into the church saying he was
ready to be with his family forever. The sisters took over teaching
him and Christmas week we still weren't sure if he was ready or not.
The zone leaders came and did an interview and okay’d the baptism. So
we set the day officially for the twenty sixth. The morning of the 26th, just
before the service, Hughes Choro called his family back in the States. He chose to have
only his mom, dad, and grandma Skype in and then invited our
investigator Mae sit in for a lesson with his family. It was amazing.
Mae speaks fluent English and he started right off saying how grateful
he was for the church and the missionaries. He testified his wife was
still alive because of the prayers of himself and the missionaries. From
here Hughes Choro’s family took over. He didn't even have to say
anything. His mother, father, and grandmother taught perfectly and far
better than any missionary I have worked with ever could. It was so
powerful. Right after that we all attended the baptism together and
got punched in the face by the spirit. Sakaniwa Kyodai, the man who
was baptized, gave the best recent convert testimony that Elder Hughes
said he has ever heard, and Mae loved it. After the meeting he said he
could not think of one reason not to join the church, except that his
family said they would disown him if he did anything beyond attend eikaiwa,
and game night with our church. He needs a lot of prayer but he is so very close to
baptism. I was also emailed by president Nagano saying that Yuta San back in Kamagaya was
close to baptism as well.

This week we had shogatsu (New Year Celebration) which is crazy here. Missionary work is not
very effective, but we managed to do a lot more than most other
companionships and stay busy which was a blessing from the Lord. Mae
also blessed us with one incredible experience. We gave him a lesson
about how similar jinjas, Shinto shrines, and Jewish temples were and
how God loves the Japanese people and has prepared them for the gospel
by showing them parts of truths over generations of time. The next day
we took a huge tour of Tokyo. Mae took us to Asakusa, Nishiarai, and
Meiji jingu and the empirical palace grounds. I was blown away. There
were tens of thousands of people there. It was just like something out
of the New Testament. A whole lot of people making sacred ground not
so sacred for reasons they cannot explain to you. Even the temple
priests can't tell you why they do the ordinances they do.  Dad can
explain these things but so much is similar to the gospel it is way
cool. I have pictures but not too much time to talk about all this. We
taught and viewed all day long and it was one of the coolest
experiences I have ever had. We went through about six different areas
and zones doing this, but we had special permission to do it. There is
so much more but I just don’t have time to talk about it.

We are all very sad to see Hughes Choro going home. I definitely want
more time to learn from him, but he's leaving all the same. That being
said, we had transfer calls today and I will be the district leader for
Koshigaya with Burch Choro as my companion. I have only been here two
and a half weeks so I still don't know much, but I'll manage.   God
qualifies all whom He calls so if you weren't qualified, he never would
have called you. I'm actually really excited. This area is great.

Also last night we had dinner with the Suzuki family. The father
served his mission in Pocatello way back so we had a great time with
them. I'll try to get all these pictures out..it may take a few weeks.
Dad, I'm sorry we didn't talk too much, maybe next time it will be
smoother and we can have some better time to talk. I was nervous
anyway and didn't speak all that well.

I love you all!!!  Aunt Launette thank you so very much for the email I love you.

Love,
Viehweg Choro







Tori Temple

No comments:

Post a Comment