Thursday, August 20, 2015

August 10th, 2015

So this week, the song that kept popping in my head while dodging traffic and small Asians on my jitensha, was the theme music for Indianna Jones. I sure love those movies. He's always been a hero of mine hahaha.

First off I am so thankful for Shannon's experience. What a wonderful thing. To be honest dad I don't remember a whole lot about that time. (Around Mom's funeral)  I think my mind has kind of repressed and blacked out a lot of what happened at that time.   Sometimes I wish I could remember it, but I can't.  So hearing about that was really good for me. What a wonderful thing for her.  Love you Shannon.

So we were able to meet with a few more investigators from the other elder's area book this week. Of course, as soon as they heard what our purpose was, they insisted they were not interested.  Unfortunately this has become the pattern for all of those investigators. I think that the other elders were a little vague on their purpose, and people don't really understand what we are doing, so when Tsuchida Choro and I meet with them, they don't want anything to do with what we are doing. Needless to say we have continued to clean up the area book.  We are both thinking that cleaning up Kamagaya may be our purpose this transfer.  We haven't been able to connect with our own investigators, except one, and none of the people we find want to continue to meet.  So, we are just doing what we can when we can. It's hard to feel like you are doing anything to help the area, but there is a reason I'm here in Kamagaya, and who am I to say what that purpose should be? 

On Tuesday, we had been invited to come to a festival with some of our eikaiwa students.  We are allowed to do such things if we make sure they understand that we will take the time to discuss the gospel some, and we have men for us elders, and women for the sisters to accompany.  The festival was Tuesday night, and by that time, we still hadn't found someone who wanted to go with us. It was only women so far. The women students had told us of all the foods they were going to make for us and things they were going to buy us, so we felt really bad.  We were going to call them to say we couldn't go, when the other elder's recent convert, Yoshida Kyodai, asked if we could help him get to the Eki. So we had to go to the Eki, see the women, and then tell them we couldn't go. It was so awkward.  As we were walking up, they were jumping up and down and waving and before we could get a word out, they gave us packages with traditional clothing for the festival to wear AND keep. After that we told them "Uh, so actually we can't go...sorry.."  They were devastated for an instant, and then they got over it and set down their bags and cases in the middle of the crowded Eki, and proceeded to unpack food they had made for us, and give it to us to take with us back to our apartment.  Elder Tsuchida and I felt sooooo guilty just watching them all on their knees unpacking onagiri, yakisoba, bread, fruit...it was awful....but soooo funny hahaha. They are sweet old ladies, so they still love us.  I honestly don't know what Japan would do without women. The men are so gruff, closed off, and proud, but the women are so kind and gentle and patient. It's crazy how different the genders are here. I don't know how they get along, or get married.  Anyway..dinner that night was good.

We have been teaching a convert who was baptized last November, but has only come to church three times since. He works all day on Sunday and his boss won't let him change his schedule. It's really sad, when we meet with him, we can feel his spirit and testimony, and his desire to obey is strong, but his boss won't let him. He still comes to eikaiwa every week, so we just feed him spiritually. I think we might try to have him start looking for a new job.  People here in Japan work so hard for not very much.  It is such an expensive country, and there are so many people, it is hard for them to be able to be flexible with their work and schedules.  I always tell Tsuchida one thing I am grateful for in being an American, is that we know how to work hard, but we also know how to play hard.  I don't think people really enjoy thier lives, they just work and then go to other obligations. It's pretty sad, but the church members give you hope. They manage to find time for what really matters. How, I don't know, but they do it and it shows.

I gave my first talk this past Sunday. It was on the sacred calling of parents. Luckily I have such great examples to draw from. I talked about the scripture in 1 Corinthians about man and women being created together, and about the sons of Hellman and thier mothers. I breifly referenced how you took such good care of us dad during a very difficult time, and everyone was blown away by your example. They thought it was nuts that we would wake up at five thirty to read scriptures together, and do FHE, and family dinner. They loved it though. Needless to say dad, you are now a hero in the Kamagaya ward.  I think talking about your example actually made a lot of them desire to review thier priorities and such.  So thank you for always being such a great example, and taking your calling as a parent so seriously.  Of course all the members were very complementary of my Japanese. I still think it is just out of politeness. Oh well, I don't think I spoke any false doctrine, so that's a plus.

Dad I keep forgetting to talk about the Skype appointments. Our skype man lives in Shiroi which is like forty minutes away by bike, but he insists on meeting over Skype. It started six months ago as an English class, and since then he has really gained an appreciation for missionaries and the Book of Mormon.  But he refuses to meet in person because he knows our message is true, and feels the spirit, and knows that if we meet in person he will only feel it that much stronger. Guess how old he is?  75. The ogichans (older folks) always have such horrible outlandish excuses for not doing things, it would be funny if we didn't know how close he is.  Anyway we skype for an hour and teach a lesson from the church. I don't like it, but at least we got to do something with an investigator.  Such a drought right now we are grateful any opportunity to teach. Maybe he is one of those people who after six years will finally get over his fear of change, like the stories you always hear about.

I can never remember what happens throughout the week.  Pday arrives and my mind is so ful of gospel, and Japanese, and random things that I can't think straight. So sorry if I forget things.

Kristin I hope you and John can make a decision soon on what you want to do. That's a tough one for sure. It kinda makes me sad hearing about how bad the army is...it's all I have ever really wanted to do... Oh well. You could have a kid?  I hear that solves all your problems...

Macsen thanks for the pro tip!  With all the humidity the collar stains are hard to get rid of.  The Japanese have some special formula cleaner made especially for it, but it's expensive so I'll try the shampoo. Miss you and love you so much!

I sure love you all. I hope all is well there in murica.

Viehweg choro
The breakfast Elder Viehweg made for his companion's birthday

Celebration cupcake

Close up on the American breakfast


Tokyo entertainment

No comments:

Post a Comment