Thursday, July 2, 2015

June 21st- Tokyo

Hey family and friends,

Being here I Japan is so crazy, I know that I say that a lot, but it is almost surreal to me haha. Everywhere I go there is Japanese language, writing, and people. I sure do appreciate this opportunity to serve though.

First and foremost I want to acknowledge how grateful I am for Eric Carter's health. Dad filled me in and it sounds like it was a horrifying experience. I felt very prompted to pray for him and send blessings to him and his family as I am sure many of you did. From dad's letter today it seemed like he was on the up and up. He will continually be in my thoughts and prayers, theirs is quite the amazing family.

So this week was pretty tough! Haha in a good way of course. But man this language is so hard. Not a lot of people want to talk to the gaijin (foreigner) with a white shirt and Jesus Christ on his chest, but I still try to work up the courage to stop people and start up conversations. Most of the time I don't understand most of what they say, but it's okay. I have to keep myself patient and diligent I know.

We still do not have a very large teaching pool. There are investigators that we contact but they just never have time for us. That is the struggle here. The Japanese people work themselves to death for fifty years, then retire, THEN they investigate the church and get baptized hahaha. We were actually told to start targeting the younger people. College students and stuff. Apparently the membership in the church in Japan is getting old, there are not enough young priesthood holders. That is fine by me because it is actually the daigokusei (college students) who listen to me and want to talk.

We did teach a few lessons this week but one was pretty rough and the other was like slamming my head against the wall haha. Both men are in their sixties and seventies and are soooo nice and love to talk. One of them has no teeth and speaks so fast about such wild things I cannot understand him. So I try to pay attention and learn more nihongo while ignoring the cockroaches on the bookshelf behind him ha. The other was the nicest man ever. He loves that the Book of Mormon has been translated only one time, and he thinks our faith is the most correct of any Christian in the earth. He also loves the principals of faith and repentance in the Morumon sho, but of course he has no intention of switching faiths, after all, his family has been bukyo or Buddhist for so long! It's all good though, he has the book and reads it. We can clarify and teach but after that it is up to the spirit and his agency. Very nice respectful man though.

Housing (tracting house to house) has been pretty tough. Most people only talk through intercom and I can't really understand them. Still, I tell them who we are and the message we have, then let Tsuchida Choro come to the rescue hahah. We decided to speak way more japanese from now on to improve my comprehension and speaking so hopefully that starts to pay off.

By far the hardest days are Sunday. So many meetings and so much strait nihongo that my brain often feels that it will explode hah. Yesterday we had two hours of study, church, then language study, then an additional study for first transfer missionaries and by the end of it I could not speak English or Japanese. I kid you not haha. My brain just told me no. So after apologizing profusely to Tsuchida Choro and struggling through some role play we left to proselyte. It got a little better that evening and I consider that a tender mercy from God, you definitely struggle with feelings of inadequacy and at times I feel sorry that Tsuchida has to deal with my inability to speak, but I know where those thoughts come from and work each day to keep them from having any power over me.

Sounds like everyone had a wonderful time with family for Shannon's farewell. That's so great to know she is now in the MTC. Such a holy place it is. I missed you all very much, but I am so glad that I am over here doing what I am doing. 

What else...no earthquakes yet so that's kind of a bummer. If been wanting to feel that since I came. Oh dad do you know a Chris Aaron Sorenson??? He lives in Boise apparently and the name sounds familiar to me. Anyway if you do there is a man here who was baptized thirty years ago by him, who is still active and has several children and loves him very much. I got to talk to him and hear about his conversion and hearing the humility and gratitude in his voice really helped to strengthen my testimony of why I am here doing this. So if you do know him, let him know about the fruits of his labors and that I am personally grateful for his service before.

Happy Father's Day dad! Sounds like you had a great day and I hope you feel very appreciated and loved, because you deserve the best! Thank you so much for always supporting and loving me throughout my life. Tsuchida Choro s dad is not a member and it made me so thankful that you have lived the gospel and taught us to live by its precepts as well. Love you.

Deborah! Thank you so much for the email. It sounds like you are busy as ever with work and your other interests. You work so hard for all of us and do not ever get enough compensation or recognition for what you do, so thank you for your work and love, and thank you for sending me a small letter. It's good to hear from home.

Kristin I hope you know I am jealous with green envy right now. But I do hope your trip was fun. The other day dad told me about the men's championship and it made me miss being athletic hahaha. But at least I am super good at riding bikes and dodging small Asian humans now. Thank you for the beautiful photos of your trip to.

Not sure what else to talk about but we are able to check our email throughout the week so if you want to send me a note just do it. I can read them once a day.

I sure do love you all and appreciate all the prayer and support. I feel it in my everyday life.

Matta ne



Viehweg Choro

No comments:

Post a Comment